CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

About Me

I have a very strange view on politics. I was raised in an entire family of devout Republicans, not just straight-ticket voters, but I'm talking right-wing fanatics! (I even have some good ol' Texas Republican politicians in my family - a certain notorious recent White House press secretary and his mother...) Myself, I'm a big believer in the concept that your personality traits as well your life ideologies are heavily genetic-based. You see, I'm adopted and share hardly a single common belief with almost anyone in my family about pretty much anything. Someone ought to do a study on that one day... Why am I taking this class? Well, to be honest, because it's part of my core curriculum and I don't have a choice. However, I do find Texas history and politics very interesting, and from my experience, most Texans don't know much about either! I would prefer to know truths rather than believe all the rumors - hence the somewhat sarcastic title to this blog.

Thursday, April 9, 2009

Where's Wyatt Earp When You Need Him?

So......I feel the urge to write about the new legislation presented by Rep. Joe Driver which would allow college students to carry concealed handguns on campus. There is already a law in place that allows individual school districts to allow concealed handguns by their faculty at the district's discretion. This would allow the students at colleges around the state to be armed as well. There would have to be some minimal training involved prior to the student's ability to carry a weapon, if that's any consolation to anyone reading this. Now I would think I was stating the obvious if I said that these ideas are crazy, but apparently I'm wrong. Because of incidents around the country such as the tragedies at Virginia Tech and Columbine High School, some people think it's a good idea for students or faculty to carry weapons to thwart any attempt on students lives by a gun-toting madman (wait - hasn't the "gun-toting madman/men" always been students..........with guns?). Personally, I think it is a horrible idea. First of all, the sources of these violent acts were students and no one saw it coming. Is giving these staudents authorization to bring guns onto campus going to help? It's not like the movie "Red Dawn" where we need to arm our faculty and students to fight the Russian invasion. (anybody else think that was weird that the Russians parachuted onto a Colorado high school?) Anyway, I feel that having people carry handguns with only little to no training is a horrible idea. In the military and police forces, etc., there are constant mishaps where someone accidentaly shoots themselves or is caught in friendly fire. And these are weapon EXPERTS! I think that it would turn campuses across the country into a bunch of Tombstones and Dodge Cities and other fomous wild west shoot-out towns. Kids get into fights at school now. What happens when they have guns on them or ones that are easily accessible? If this had any impact, I think it would only escalate any situation similar to the ones in the rest of the country. Unfortunately, we can not read minds and it is often very hard to tell if the kid that sits next to you in Chemistry is the one who is coming in tommorrow and spraying the class with his Dad's .45. People are unpredictable and some people are just plain crazy. Giving them a concealed handgun license isn't going to remedy the problem, on the contrary, it just might make it much worse.

0 comments: